Montag, Mai 01, 2006

results

So much for not discussing biopsy results over the phone!

The gastroenterologist called me last week to give the the news that yes, I have PBC. This was confirmed by the biopsy. Also that I am at stage 2-3, which means between stages 2 and 3 out of 4. 4 is when you get a liver transplant if you can find a liver.

I was surprised that the disease is so far along, but after a few days of thinking about it I'm feeling more at peace. I've gone from crying because I think I won't be around to see my children graduate from college to figuring that some medical advances will happen within the next decade or so that will cure auto immune disorders like this one. Also the doctor gave me info that at my stage I could expect a transplant in 8-10 years, and I'm pretty sure she is wrong about that. Which is why I'm going to find a hepatologist, and am seriously considering going to Mayo. Why not? It's close and it makes sense to be in with the people who know the most about this weirdo disease. And the ones who might possibly figure out a cure.