Sonntag, März 26, 2006

cripes, we're 40

Many people I know were born in '66, including Tim and I. Today is Maureen C.'s 40th birthday, and she is one of my first '66 born friends to cross the finish line into middle age. Or peri-menopause, as I recently read we are about to move into!

Yikes-o-rama!

Also my friend Carmen turned 40 just 3 days ago. I hope she had a good one, and that she did something fun to celebrate. And I'm wondering, should we be doing something extra special to mark this year as a turning point? All I can remember of my parents turning 40 is that my mom threw a surprise party for my dad when it was his turn in 1978. And I guess my mom must have turned 40 shortly after we moved to Vienna in 1980, but I have no memory of what we did for her that year. Probably tried making her life as miserable as possible, since I was a pissy 14 year old who was not happy about having life turned upside down by a move to a strange new country.

Anyway, happy birthday to Maureen in the UAI! I'll try to skype you sometime today.. (even though I never got headphones like you told me to...)

2 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

Hi Kate!
Thanks for thinking of me on the big 4-0. Like you, what I find shocking about it is that I so specifically remember my parents at 40.

I had my hair cut and highlighted with my friend Susan, who brought champagne and strawberries to the salon. I bought some eye makeup and lip gloss. I had pizza with Maria, Mike and the kids. The next night Mike and I went out for dinner and to see him play at a club with his band. The kids were on overnights!

It was fun. I thought I'd be doing my around-the-world trip or something at 40, but...maybe next decade! Here's to the next 10 being the best yet.

Love,
Carmen

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

Hi there...thanks for the birthday greetings! I spent my 40th in St. Petersburg, Russia....it passed by with barely a blip as I am a firm believer in the motto "40 is the new 30" Here's to the best decade yet!
Maureen

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home