Mittwoch, Dezember 15, 2004

24 hours

It is amazing how life changes so fast.

Yesterday I went batty and took off from my house for several hours. Luckily I have good solid, friends who could stand in for me while I escaped. I went to my dad's and spent time with Susie and took a much needed nap after being up all night. My mom fell the night before, and it freaked me out as I realized I cannot do this anymore. No more taking care of my mom in this house, I realized. I have been stretched as far as I am capable of stretching, and yesterday I said "no more".

Today is much better. I got my brother to come over last night and stay with my mom so I could go to my bed and sleep. My stomach is a mess from worry so I'm quitting the offending substances of coffee and alcohol. My body cannot afford to give in to coffee addiction right now.

Mike and Laura have taken over being with my mom, and our ever reliable friend John is here caring for the kids. The kids (Maggie and Frank, Emma and Michaela) are having a great time together. The house is full of the sounds of happy children. The babies (Maureen and Claire) are taking turns sitting with grandma on the bed, giving her love and making her laugh.

Our plan now is to have home hospice start here for a while, then transfer mom to a residential hospice. Laura wanted to do this so that she and Mike and kids have more time with my mom. She offered that Tim and I could go take their motel room while they stay here with mom and kids. Okay! I'm talked into it.

We are doing okay here. Thanks to all for checking in on us.