Sonntag, Dezember 12, 2004

home health care

Saturday we had a visit from the home health nurse, Michelle, who came to visit my mom at home after her pneumonia. It was good to see her familiar face in the midst of constant change.

Michelle explained that the TLC program can transition to hospice at any time that my mom chooses. She pushed my mom to be open to moving up to the living room for safety reasons. She asked if she'd been confused at night, and said it was a possible symptom of the tumors. She told my mom how important it is to let us know what she wants and needs right now. My mom then clearly said "I'm going back to Ottumwa when it is time for hospice". This didn't surprise me because on a gut level I didn't really think that she would stay here, but it's not what I'd understood from the social worker and the priest earlier in the week. One more lesson about the wisdom of going to the horse's mouth.

I said I'm worried about her getting back to Iowa when the time comes. What if her medical needs prevent it? We talked about an ambulance, which would most likely be "private pay" and I'm assuming thousands of dollars because I know from my HMO days that a local ambulance bill is $ 750.00-1000.00. Michelle also pointed out that at this time of year weather would also be a concern.

After the nurse left, my mom had more intense dizziness when I helped her get downstairs. It shook us both up. She later said that maybe she'd have to go back to Iowa sooner than she wants to.

It's hard not to dread what is coming. I don't want her to go, but I know she can't stay. If my emotions were not in sleep mode right now, I'd be crying hard. All I can do is watch and wait and pray for the best possible outcome.