Samstag, Dezember 18, 2004

"when's grandma getting up?"

Maggie came downstairs yesterday morning, sat down at the table and asked me this question. I reminded her that grandma had gone back to Iowa.

"Well when is she coming back?"

I told her that grandma is not coming back. She is staying in Iowa. Maggie's little face showed surprise, and that this information didn't quite compute. Then she went to the pantry to get the raisin bran.

I too kept waiting to hear grandma's feet shuffle into the kitchen, and for the sound of the tea pot clicking on. I waited for the smell of her Taster's Choice French Vanilla at the table, and to see her sitting there with her little box of pills and a plate of cinnamon toast. I wanted to hear her laugh at the baby's gurgley smiles, and ask me the same question she asked every morning.

"Should I feed baby her cereal now?"