Montag, Mai 30, 2005

My Mac is dead

I flew to Nashville on Friday, to attend a surprise birthday party for my aunt Mary. I also got to spend some quality time with my friend Ted, who lives in Bowling Green Ky. Ted, who I will now start calling "my advisor", gave me a copy of Microsoft office for Mac that he got as an educator at WKU. I was tired since I'd been awake since 3:30 a.m., but I dragged myself to the Northwest gate at 7:30 a.m. yesterday, knowing that once I got there I would enjoy the pleasure of putting Word etc. on my new computer. I did. I thought. Then the poor thing went dark. Dead. Kaput. I chose not to panic, and instead read the Harriet Doerr book I'd brought. I figured that the computer would pull itself together by the time I got home.

It didn't. Instead it would not start up and gave me only a flashing question mark with no cues for what I should do.

I called AppleCare, and they told me to put one of the disks I got with the computer in, and I did. Apparently the harddrive is gone, so I have to send the little guy back to Mac, probably never to be seen again. Everything I had on that computer is probably gone, including email files, work for EDN (luckily I haven't been investing much time there lately!) and my iCalendar, which I have quickly come to rely on. Shite. Now I get the point of using .mac, which allows me to store files out on the internet instead of on a harddrive.

Mac is sending me a box to to return the computer in, probably on Wednesday. The repair is covered by the 1 year warranty, thank god. But, I do have to wait 5-7 business days before I see a Mac with a working hard drive again.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

I think you meant to say "who I will be paying to be 'my advisor.'" Don't worry, my rates are pretty reasonable.

Ted

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger KatyM said...

Bummer! I'm so sorry. For me, I mean, because I wanted to play with it next time I saw you! Thank goodness it was under warrant but that really stinks about the calendar, etc. You'll have to tell me more about backing up with .mac, sounds cool.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home