Freitag, Mai 13, 2005

#5

I'd have a life like Harriet Doerr. ( I'd make a link to an article in the Stanford Alumni magazine about her life, but Mac is not working with me on this. ) She went back to finish her college degree when she was in her 70s, and then allowed herself the luxury of writing.

I'd go to the Iowa Writer's Workshop (again, Mac is not helping) in Iowa City. I'd learn how to write fiction, which is something I have no clue about. I would spend my days driving around Iowa City, where my paternal grandparents met and fell in love. I would also drive to their home towns of Lone Tree and North or South English, and steep in their culture. I would immerse myself in information about small town Iowa in the twenties, and I would ask my favorite grandma if I could pattern a story after her family's life. Her dad, Frank Storm, was a farmer who was struck by lightening when grandma D was 5. Her mom, Iva, then raised two kids by herself in Lone Tree in the teens and twenties.

3 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Blogger KatyM said...

You can join my cousin and I as we type on real typewriters on the porch of our beachside bungalow when we are in our 80s.
I figure that will be when I finally get enough time of my own to write.
And the typewriters are just part of the romantic image. We will also wear wide-brimmed straw hats for the same reason.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Matt_J said...

Kate and Katy, please, go out and buy a manual typewriter at a yard sale now-- you won't be able to find them anymore by the time we're all retired. I've got two-- one is an Underwood my Grandpa Johanson had in Wheaton MN in the 20s (after he got back from WWI), and the other is a Swedish model I picked up here. Don't forget to stock up on ribbons.

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

I'll be waiting to read your novels! (Don't make me be too patient, please...)
Heidi

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home