Dienstag, August 09, 2005

insomniacs

When I was pregnant with Maureen I was awake alot around 3-5 a.m. I would often get up and watch a netflix movie. Two that I remember from that time were something where Calista Flockhart played a lesbian psychic. It wasn't a bad movie. The other is an Iranian film about an afghani refugee girl who's family dresses her up as a boy so she can go to work at a construction site. The father in the family was disabled, and the only way for the kids to get fed was for the eldest child to go to work. It was also a pretty good movie. Can't remember the name, though.

Our neighbor lady also has insomnia. I know this because every time my pregnant was down in the living room watching movies, our neighbor was in her kitchen with the light on. Tonight she is also up, moving around her kitchen. Maybe insomnia is not the curse I've believed it to be? Maybe it's just another "disorder" that some people get to learn how to manage. There certainly are worse burdens to bear, like clinical depression for example.

I've decided to try not taking Sominex and see if I can live without it. This is night #3. So far so good. Yes I am awake in the wee hours today, but the test is really how lack of sleep affects me during the day. If I'm not functioning the way I want to during the day, then I will go back to taking a sleep aid. But what if early morning insomnia is my way of getting the quiet alone time that my personality so deeply needs? Right now is quite a pleasant time for me to be awake. So quiet, so alone. Just heard babykins screaming her head off, and went up to help her go back to sleep. Did I ever mention that ferber doesn't work on strong willed babies?

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Supposedly the SFQ exercises I've been doing for the past month and a half can cause a body to need less sleep? Sounds crazy, I know, but I'm willing to give it a try.

The NASA channel is on the TV next to me, and I find it incredibly soothing. Space shuttle Discovery is trying to land in Florida this morning.

3 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

look me up tonight if you have insomnia. I had a pint of cold pressed coffee at about 9:00 pm

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonym said...

Early morning is how I get my alone time. Although I do not have insomnia, I often wake up at the crack of dawn and just lay in bed enjoying the silence.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

I have much to say about insomnia. However, tonight I am too tired (related) to comment anything except shallow and selfish comments: 1. I have a guilty (for being so predictable and insensitive to body image issues and uncool) crush on Calista Flockhart and now want to see the movie of her as a lesbian psychic. And 2. I want to do exercises that make me need less sleep, though I might be too skeptical for them to do their magic. And 3. No f-ing way ferber would work on my first kid, and by the second, well, to come full circle, I was too tired to try. Love you, Carmen

PS I got the book you recommended today, and am commencing to read if and when the rugrats give up the ghost.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home