Montag, Oktober 18, 2004

class reunion

My mom has been planning to go back to Iowa for her nursing school class reunion. It will be held the weekend of Halloween. Today she called her friend Freda to see if she can drive here to pick her up. Freda is coming up Thursday, and they will leave Friday. My mom has chemo scheduled for November 1, so she plans to return to Minnesota on Halloween. If all goes as planned, she will be away from us for more than a week! And what am I feeling? Fear that the house will be too quiet and too empty without her! Fear that I am going to miss her. We haven't spent this much time together (i.e. 4 months straight!) since I was 17, and I think we have both found it to be surprisingly pleasant. It is nice to have an adult companion during the day, who really knows what is going on in my daily life. I think I might actually feel a little lonely while she is gone, which sounds crazy considering the fullness of my days with these little people!

I've also been worried about her getting sick. She had a low energy weekend, not feeling or acting like her spunky self. She also had a cough, so today she got some antibiotics because of the fear of pneumonia creeping into her lungs again. I want her to stay well so she gets to enjoy her time with her school friends, and spend some quality time with my grandma.