Sonntag, Jänner 15, 2006

already?


Maggie is only 6.5, but here was our conversation when she slipped into bed with me this morning.

Maggs: I wish I could get what I really wanted for Christmas.


Me: What did you really want?

Maggs: To be magic.

Me: What would you want to do with magic?

Maggs: I would make myself a prettier girl. I would change my nose.

Me: Really? What don't you like about your nose?

Maggs: (looking down) Too fat.

It scares me that she is already thinking this way! I didn't know what the hell to say, but I chose not to respond with a typical mom comment about how she is beautiful and her nose is perfect. I remember my mom saying things like that to me when I was a kid, and her words never seemed to make a dent in decisions I had already made about something. Instead I commiserated with Maggie, and told her a story about when I was 6 and what I didn't like about my own appearance. Then I said that now it doesn't matter to me and that I am happy with how I look. For the record, when I was six my ears were too big and my teeth were not white enough.

Later in the day I grabbed Maggie while we were on the couch, and kissed her nose over and over again.

"Your nose is perfect, and I will always think you are absolutely beautiful." Maggie beamed up at me and giggled, which made me think that my words did make an impression on her. This might not work when she is 12 or 16 or 22, but today it seems to have been at least a little bit effective.

Guess I can't help being the kind of mom who says things that sound trite or silly to a kid, but at least I know I will be telling the truth!

1 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Matt_J said...

What a cool mom.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home