Dienstag, August 23, 2005

slow going

Ted emailed me:

Did you get out some of that writing about your
mother? Shortly after my grandma died my mom had
a similar impulse and actually had all the
kids and grandkids write up a few memories that she
collected into a book. Come to think of it, though,
I'm not sure if mom herself contributed anything...???

my response:

Yeah, I'm working on it. I'm finding that the more I relate to the "character" of my mom, the more authentic the writing feels. Interesting. If GA didn't write about her mom, I can understand why. It is hard work that demands full participation, and not everyone is cut out for it. We'll see if I am.

I'm exhausted after a day with these kids. You know how great they are, but sometimes it feels like they are little vampires. I'm looking forward to school starting!